Helpful Information For Patients
Cindy provides a range of services for benign as well as malignant (cancer) breast disease. Please click here for information on what we do.
Cindy sees patients in her rooms at Newtown and North Sydney, NSW. Please click here for details of the locations of the rooms. You can choose to return to either location after your first appointment – you do not need to remain in the one location for review.
She operates at:
- The Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, Camperdown (affiliated with RPA Hospital)
- The Mater Hospital, North Sydney
- Strathfield Private Hospital, Strathfield and Hunters Hill Private (in conjunction with plastic surgery only)
Making an appointment
Please contact Aileen or Karen, on 02 9519 8525.
When you ring, please be prepared for them to ask you some questions regarding the type of problem you are coming for. We need to ask these questions to help us understand how urgent the appointment is, so that we can schedule your appointment accordingly. We may suggest you see Charon, our breast physician, if it is a problem more appropriate for her, or if it speeds up your appointment.
We may also ask you to fax/email details regarding your biopsy and imaging results. This will help us make your appointment and allow Cindy to plan ahead.
Please do tell us if you are seeking a second opinion from us or are planning to do so. It is understandable that patients would like to do this. We will not take offence! This enables us to understand your needs better.
Dr Mak is committed to training and teaching the next generation of breast surgeons. She occasionally has a breast fellow consulting with her. This person is a fully qualified general surgeon who is subspecialising in general surgery and is part of a national training program under the auspices of BreastSurgANZ. We ask your understanding if the fellow initially assesses and examines you. Dr Mak will always see you with the fellow. Often an appointment with the fellow enables us to fit in urgent patients who would otherwise have their appointments delayed.
For details on what you need to bring with you during your appointment, please click here.
What is the difference between ‘private’ and ‘public’ patients?
Cindy does not prioritise patients based on their insurance status. The urgency of your appointment will be based on the type of problem you have.
‘Private’ patients do not need to have private health insurance to be seen in the rooms.
You may choose to consult Cindy in her private rooms and have your surgery performed as a public patient at no cost to you.
To see Cindy privately, there is a consulting fee, which is partly rebatable by Medicare. The benefits of choosing private consulting include:
- Longer consultation times
- Shorter waiting times
- More appointment dates & times available
- Seeing Cindy personally for the consultation
Having Surgery As A Private Patient
- Cindy operates on private patients at The Mater Hospital and Chris O’Brien Lifehouse.
- Cindy does not discriminate between private and public patients in terms of urgency of their condition. However, having private health insurance means that there are additional operating lists available, which can help bring forward your surgery date.
- Other benefits of having your surgery done privately are that Cindy will personally perform your procedure and you are more likely to have a single room.
- There is often a gap between the cost of the surgery and the rebate from a health fund, and we can give you estimates of this once we know what type of surgery you require.
- It is possible to have your surgery done privately without having health insurance. You can discuss this with us at your appointment, if you wish.
Cindy helps public patients via The Breast Clinic at Lifehouse.
Cindy is one of three surgeons at the Lifehouse breast clinic located at Clinic B, Level 2. She is present on Thursday afternoons. This is a free clinic but you will need a referral from your general practitioner.
At this clinic we unfortunately cannot guarantee appointments with Cindy.
We request your patience & understanding if Cindy is unable to personally see you at the clinic (even if your general practitioner has referred you to her directly). This clinic is run by a professional team of breast physicians, surgical fellows, residents and registrars. They are essential for the smooth running of the clinic and we request your understanding if you are allocated to see them instead of Cindy directly.
For new patient appointments at this clinic please ring 02 8514 0255.